Monday, April 16, 2012

Shoyu Chicken Bento

Shoyu Chicken Bento by sherimiya ♥
Shoyu Chicken Bento, a photo by sherimiya ♥ on Flickr.
I made the shoyu chicken for this bento using the recipe from Secrets of the Red Lantern. I adapted it a bit, using my slow-cooker so that I could run out of the house to take care of the multiple kid activities pickups and dropoffs. The recipe promised meat that falls off the bone, and it did not disappoint. Super tender and flavorful! I just served it over brown millet rice and the kids loved it. There's a sprig of broccoli in there for brightness, and the top tier of this cool apple-shaped bento box contains strawberries, carrots, blood oranges and grapes for MisterMan. When I was a kid, shoyu chicken was my absolute favorite. If my mom ever asked what I wanted for dinner, that was what I requested every time. When I ask my kids, TinySprite invariably shouts "Mac and cheese!" and MisterMan, always the diplomat, never chooses. He says "Your choice mom. I like everything you make!" Awwww. ^_^

10 comments:

  1. your chicken looks yummy...
    Ow..MM always know how to melt your heart!
    and TS knows what she wants.. that's interesting hehe..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah! They're so different and quirky in their own special ways... :D
      Thanks Yen ~!

      Delete
  2. Looks so fresh and delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr Man is awesome!!!! He is such a gentleman, mama might be so proud of this little guy!! I totally melted with his answer *swoooon*
    Ah siblings.... so similar but so different in many ways... I'll go with TS!! Straightforward attitude! Wohoo !
    Oh yea, almost forgot: delicious chicken!
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. karaimame,
      He really is "indiscriminate"-- and has to think very, very hard to come up with a favorite food. Can you believe it? Also just a few things he really doesn't care for: wet mashed potatoes, peas, and... sob... kabocha (although I can trick him on that one, heh) ^_^

      Delete
  4. Dear Sheri,
    Can I please ask you how your adapted this recipe for the slow cooker?
    thanks
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi K,
      I used the low setting for about 6 hours or until the meat falls off the bone. It worked very well.

      Delete
  5. Many thanks Sheri miya,
    so you didn't change any of the quantities of liquid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so, but if your crockpot is wide perhaps you might add more liquid so as to keep the chicken moist? I can't remember exactly but I don't think the chicken was completely submerged. The size and shape of my crockpot is similar to my soup pot so it transferred well. Hope this helps.

      Delete